Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
Have you decided to ignore a damaged tooth because you're afraid repairing it would require extensive or expensive dental work? Dental bonding, one of the least expensive cosmetic dentistry treatments, is used to quickly repair several types of damage. Dr. Daniel Merker, Dr. Holly McAllister and Dr. Brian Merker of Merker McAllister Dental Office in Zanesville, OH, explain how bonding can restore your smile.
What is dental bonding?
During dental bonding, composite resin, a soft material made of plastic and powdered glass, is added to your tooth to repair the damage. When the composite resin is exposed to a curing light, it hardens and bonds to your teeth. Before your dentist bonds your teeth, he or she selects a shade of composite resin that closely matches your natural tooth enamel.
How is bonding used to repair teeth?
Bonding can be used to:
- Cover Cracks: Cracks tend to be very noticeable. Although you may need a crown if your crack is deep, shallower cracks that don't extend beyond tooth enamel can be concealed with bonding in our Zanesville office.
- Restore Broken or Chipped Tooth: If you chip a tooth or a piece of your tooth breaks off, bonding offers an excellent way to repair the damage. In some cases, the broken piece can be reattached with bonding. If you don't have the piece or it can't be reattached, adding bonding material restores the normal appearance of the tooth.
- Lengthen Teeth: Bonding is often used to extend teeth that are too short. Whether your tooth is naturally shorter or has shortened because you grind or clench your teeth, dental bonding offers a good restoration option.
- Makeover Teeth: Would you like to completely change the appearance of a tooth? Adding bonding can make a crooked tooth appear straight or an oddly shaped tooth look more uniform.
- Close Gaps: Bonding conceals small spaces between teeth that may make you feel a little self-conscious about your smile.
- Cover Discolorations: Veneers and crowns aren't the only choices if you have a discolored tooth. Dental bonding offers another way to hide discolorations.
Are you interested in learning if bonding or another cosmetic dentistry procedure is a good choice for you? Call Merker McAllister Dental Office in Zanesville, OH, at (740) 453-0731 to schedule an appointment.
Stained, misshaped or crooked/broken teeth all would benefit from cosmetic dentistry in Zanesville Ohio. Dental veneers can restore the appearance and function of the teeth. Dr. Daniel Merker, Dr. Holly McAllister and Dr. Brian Merker from Merker McAllister Dental all are well versed in what dental porcelain veneers can do for their patients.
More About Veneers
Veneers are thin porcelain coverings that are placed atop the teeth’s natural surface. They can improve color, alignment or spacing issues in the mouth. They generally have a longer life expectancy than bonding because of the strong material they are made of.
Veneers are made by a dental lab provided based on measurements taken at your cosmetic dentistry office in Zanesville, Ohio. Generally, these veneers can be placed in just two visits, the first is the planning and preparation of the mold and the second is the actual placement visit.
Dr. Merker, Dr. McAllister and Dr. Merker from Merker McAllister Dental prepare a patient's teeth by lightly buffing them so they can accept the veneers better. The teeth are thoroughly cleansed with a gel that helps this bond to be achieved more successfully. That gel is rinsed off and a curing light is used atop the porcelain veneers in order to promote them to harden onto the surface of the teeth. The composite resin material itself may be painted on in several layers until the desired look is achieved.
It’s important that you discuss all of your Cosmetic Dentistry options with Dr. Merker, Dr. McAllister and Dr. Merker in Zanesville, Ohio. They can examine your teeth and determine whether or not you are a candidate for porcelain veneers. Much like other teeth, veneers must be cared for properly with regular brushing and flossing. To learn more about porcelain veneers and to schedule a comprehensive appointment today at Merker McAllister Dental, call 740-453-0731 today.